Today I finished assembling a set of brackets that are needed to attach the upper and lower half of the robot's body. I designed the brackets with two aspects in mind, the first is that they need to be able to absorb shocks and vibrations that the robot will be subjected to when it is walking. The second design aspect is that they also cannot pivot on their own because the left and right motion of the robot's torso motor needs to be rigid enough for precise shifts in center of gravity when making each step.
The brackets are made from 2 inch steel angle stock that I cut into eight small brackets. The brackets are bolted together with pieces of awesome orange rubber acting as shock absorbers in key locations.
Here you can see the completed brackets attached to the housing of the motor and the frame of the robot.