Tips on Soldering
These are just some tips for when you solder electronics.
- Replace tip if necessary - I don't do this very often but some cheap soldering irons can ware out over only a few weeks of use. You will know if you need to replace your tip because it will look disfigured almost like it melted.
- Clean the tip with a sponge - do this while the soldering iron is hot. Simply use a damp sponge to wipe away any carbon (black) and excess solder. The result will be a nice shiny tip.
- Soldering paste or flux can be used to help solder attach to some surfaces but this is not always necessary.
- Make sure you are using good solder. Some solder contains impurities and may not bond well to the materials that you are using. I have had good luck with 60/40.
Do and Don't:
- Do: Good solder joint (shiny, smooth)
- Don't: Bad solder joint (dull, lumpy)